Plant Based Vegan Propoganda

Meatless vs. meat-less: go plant-based without being vegan

Not everyone is willing to follow an "all-or-nothing" diet, and the good news is... you don't have to.  Try these Flexitarian and Reducetarian tips to get the same health benefits.

"Plant-Based” isn’t as black and white as being a vegan or a carnivore. There’s a ton of grey area between the two that allows you to reap the benefits of “eating the rainbow”.

Going meatless doesn’t magically unlock the keys to perfect health- unfortunately, there are “junk-food-vegans” everywhere….

The culture of “dieting” has seen everything from The Atkins Plan to Raw Veganism & somehow, somewhat of a civil war has broken out between everyone with an appetite. So, in this diet-fad world, with superfoods and keto-bombs a-plenty, what does “plant-based” even mean anyway? And, what are the ways in which more plant foods can be incorporated into your everyday routine?

Plant-based diets don’t have to be meatless, they can be meat-LESS!

Phytonutrients aren’t reserved just for vegans and vegetarians. By now, we all know the necessity of the nutrients found in plants—they’re essential for our bodies to function and thrive. Eating a plant-based diet is about rooting (no pun intended) your diet in vegetables, fruits, and plant foods. A great way to think about this is to apply the 80/20 rule- increasing your plant food intake to 80%, and minimizing your animal food intake to 20%.

Here are some ways to apply 80/20 and “Meat-LESS”

Per Meal:
Divide your plate into 5 parts— 4 of the 5 parts (80%) should be filled with plant foods — greens, grains, nuts, and beans, with the remaining 1/5 (20%) left for animal foods.

Per Overall Calories: 
Disclaimer— we don’t usually like talking about things like calories but for this, it works!
How many calories do you usually eat in a day? Using the average male’s 2,000 calories per day as an example, 1600 calories should come from foods without any animal-derived ingredients while a mere 400 are set aside for animal-based foods.

Per Week: 
Let’s say there are 21 meals in a week — (3 meals per day, for 7 days) …
14.7 ( okay the math isn’t perfect here but just go with it… let’s say 14 and a snack) should be plant-based only meals and the remaining 6.3 meals for the week can contain animal proteins and ingredients...

Basing your diet on plant foods is what eating “plant-based” is all about. The more room you have in your meal plan for the good stuff- veggies, fruits, grains, etc… the less room you’ll have for meat, dairy, and other unnecessary things like processed sugars and packaged foods. Don’t forget, the quality of fuel and performance are directly linked! You’ll be amazed by the health benefits you can attain by simply reducing the amount of animal-based foods in your diet. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing zero-sum game to go plant-based!