Concocting low-sugar smoothies takes some planning and research to successfully pull off, especially if you are looking into them as healthy meal replacement shakes for breakfast or before a rigorous workout. The main goal here is getting the basic nutrients you need while keeping in mind that the diet is restricted to less or no sugar at all. This is what the article is mainly about, as it details the tips you need to know and the base ingredients you will need.
First off, it’s important to contextualize why a low-sugar restriction is particularly necessary for you. That is because, unless prescribed by your doctor or dietitian, you can easily lose the energy you need to get through the day. Yes—sugar is more important than you think. It’s not just a sweetener or something that spikes your chances of getting diabetes.
Quick Tips to Making Low-Sugar Smoothies
For starters, sugar is another term for glucose, which is a vital source of energy compared to more difficult nutrients to break down, like fat and protein. In ample amounts, sugar can be tagged as an energy source or integral to proactivity. However, in larger quantities, it can lead to serious diseases and obesity. To perfect this low-sugar dieting conundrum, consider the following tips for the perfect smoothie:
- Find the Right Balance: As with any kind of diet, meeting all the needs as signified in the nutrition pyramid is the key to an effective lifestyle change. For the case of low-sugar, you may be already suffering from a disorder that has been associated with high sugar intake and thus considered the diet to offset this imbalance. When you hit pulse on the blender, make sure there are balanced amounts of carbs, proteins, and fats. Ask a dietitian or consult a nutrition guide if you feel the need for more energy.
- Stick to the Right Portions: With the right balance in place, you may have momentary pangs of temporary hunger or the sudden urge to eat something. This may not necessarily mean you don’t have enough, as it might just be your body adjusting to the change. As such, it’s important to stick to the portions, especially if you feel you are getting enough. However, don’t be afraid to gradually tweak a portion or two to help you control your intake and transition more easily into a low-sugar diet.
- The Sugary Devil is in the Details: With portions and nutrients all intact, there may be some sugary culprits in the smoothies you make. Consider researching ingredients before putting them in or reading up on their nutritional facts. Be on the lookout for sugar.
Low-Sugar Smoothie Ingredients
With the aforementioned tips in mind, concern yourself with the following ingredients to build an effective smoothie-based diet:
- Unsweetened milk substitutes: Milk is usually the base for most milkshakes and delicious smoothies. In the case of this diet, you can still enjoy it, provided it is unsweetened almond, coconut milk, or low-fat variants. You can do around ¾ of a cup of this ingredient for one smoothie.
- Healthy protein alternatives: Ideally, you want 10 to 20 grams of protein per serving. Try coconut yogurt, cashew cream, or even silken tofu to add some texture and body without too much sweetness!
- Thickening agents: If you want to keep your stomach full, chickpeas and white beans are great, healthy options to thicken up your smoothie. They are also neutral in flavor, so they mix well with other ingredients. Half a cup will do for one shake.
- Nuts: This is your source of unsaturated fats and fibers that help curb sudden spikes in your sugar levels. You can choose between 3 tablespoons of either walnuts, almonds, or pistachios.
- Fruits: You want to pick out your best blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries, and ideally just ¾ a cup. Their anti-inflammatory properties and essentials aid in fending off common diseases and help keep your immune system strong.
- Greens: You can’t go wrong with 1 or 2 cups of either kale or spinach in your smoothie. These are a great source of potassium and Vitamin K that enhance muscle and bone resilience.
If you want to improve your overall health and still stay amply energized throughout the day, stick to this low-sugar smoothie diet. Additionally, don’t forget to do your own research and consult with the relevant medical professionals concerning your dietary plans.
Looking for professionally formulated, plant-based superfood nutrition shakes? We at LYFE Fuel are here to help you by providing healthier alternatives and nutrition-based plans to aid your new proactive lifestyle. Energize effectively with our shakes today!